MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhehiriii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV with a bad sway bar bushing and link on the right front side. Mazda told me parts were very cheap but labor is over 6 hours and total cost would be over $700. It looks like it can be done with out taking apart most of the sub frame. Any suggestions? Thanks
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

That sounds like a lot of labour, what model did you have? we spent less than that to replace our shocks all round. That sounds a bit steep to do a sway bar bushing.
2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

That sounds like an awful lot of time for a link and bushing. without looking at the PV, but looking at the link, It looks pretty straight forward. It has a nut for a wrench on the inside to grab while removing the nut. The bushing shouldn't be that hard either. I would suggest soaking the the bolts for the bushing real good in penetrating oil. There is a chance of snapping them off. That can be a problem. Again, without looking at the PV, (if everything were to go right) I wouldn't expect to take more than an hour. I could be wrong, but on other cars, including earlier PV's I haven't taken longer than half an hour to do links,and as long as the bushing isn't hard to get to, and the bolts come out ok, that should be a 10, 15 min. job. (just my 2 cents) Cool
'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
savedsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

End links are easy and readily available. He's referring to the bushing which is buried.
2005 MPV - Black Mica: Grey Leather / HID
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

savedsol wrote:
End links are easy and readily available. He's referring to the bushing which is buried.

buried huh?? Gotta love it when they do stuff like that, take something that should be an easy job, and screw it all up

'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
savedsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

Manual doesn't make it seem that bad.

M A Z D A.jpg

M A Z D A.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 2831 time(s)

jhehiriii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I got two pictures of the sway bar bolts and it looks like it can be removed without taking apart the crossmember. Seems like that it will just take alot more turning of a wrench to do so.

Swaybar Bushing1.jpg

Swaybar Bushing1.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 3027 time(s)

Swaybar Bushing2.jpg

Swaybar Bushing2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 2804 time(s)

et16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

That sounds high. The links are easy to replace.
savedsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

et16 wrote:
That sounds high. The links are easy to replace.

Bushing not links.

mr2toy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

If i were you i would change the links first, they are notorious for making noise when driving and they are easy to replace. The bushing in the picture still looks okay to me, it would need alot of force from your suspension to damaged the rubber bushings the way it is mounted on the control arm. If the bar is mounted underneath the chassis then it is another story. What noise are you hearing? Just replace the links and if the noise goes away then you know the bushing is still good.
2002 MPV ES, black mica, GFX, 4 seasons pack.,moonroof, dvd entertaiment,auxmod,remote starter
89 toyota mr2 supercharged
danny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

Has anyone done this? I bought the replacement sway bar busing for like $7 each, but on my first attempt I couln't get the bolt lose. I haven't tried it again, because I'm afraid I'll strip the bolt head. It seems really hard to get to the bolt in the first place.

I have a 2003 MPV LX with 137k miles on it. Any help would be appreciated!

"03 MPV LX, 137,000 Miles"
Dano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

This is not hard to do, I've done it twice now; it is awkward to get that back bolt out, but once you figure out the tool combo it's not bad.

I recall being able to get a 6 point socket w a universal joint extension on it to reduce the chance of it stripping the second time, but you could probably make do w a combination wrench if you had to. I would definitely soak it for days with penetrating oil.

Once you have the bolts out it's clear sailing, a bit of a PIA to get the back bolt aligned straight for the reassembly but if the dealer is telling you 7 hrs tell them they just lost your business for good for anything else that ever happens to your van....
musicman54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

[quote="danny"]Has anyone done this? I bought the replacement sway bar busing for like $7 each, but on my first attempt I couln't get the bolt lose. I haven't tried it again, because I'm afraid I'll strip the bolt head. It seems really hard to get to the bolt in the first place.

I have a 2003 MPV LX with 137k miles on it. Any help would be appreciated![/quote] I know it has been a few years but did you ever replace the sway bar bushings ?? How hard was it to do it ??
Dano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement how difficult to do Reply with quote

Hey, as I said in my post, the right tooling is key - try use a 6 point socket or wrench, and if using a socket, you'll need a universal extension to make it work. I would use brake cleaner to get all the grit and grime off the area, soak it w/ penetrant, wait a few days, soak it again and then make sure your socket is well placed before applying torque.

It's awkward, but very doable and the peace and quiet of no more clanging is very worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: